Atiku Says the Attacks is Unaccepted Because it Will Destroy the Fabric of African Brotherhood.
The former Vice President and Presidential candidate of the just concluded general elections, Alhaji Atiku Abubabar condemned the recent attacks on Nigerians in South Africa.
In a statement posted on Atiku’s official twitter handle, he calls for urgent actions to help curb the situation.
“Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa is unacceptable and stands condemned.
“Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood,” he posted.
Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa is unacceptable and stands condemned. Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood. -AA
— Atiku Abubakar (@atiku) September 3, 2019
The embattled xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa has lasted for more than 3 years and approximately 130 Nigerians have been killed.and at least 13 of those killed were documented to have been killed by officers of the South African Police Service (SAPS).
Just last week, four of the officers were arrested after a protest by Nigerians in diaspora commission.
Nigeria’s President, Muhammadu Buari was in talk with the South African President, Cyril Ramaphosa, in Tokyo,Japan.
Cyril Ramaphosa had promised to end attacks on Nigerians and vowed to bring perpetrators to book.
“We feel very upset about that. Obviously, our criminal justice system is working on it. We don’t support killings,” Ramaphosa said.
The President of the Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, had issued a statement on the matter what it seems adequate measures to end the attack is not taken.
“Nigerian-owned businesses were seriously affected. A car sales business owned by a Nigerian were among the several businesses set ablaze over the night. “Although the Police said that many people had been arrested in connection with the unnecessary attacks, the looting and burning of foreign-owned businesses continued till Monday morning,” Adetola Olubajo, said.