In recent reports from South Africa, several lives and properties of foreigners living in South Africa has been lost.
The xenophobic attack in South Africa has been on for years but on a low operations, and it is could be recalled that nothing or less attention was paid to it. Thus, giving it a more morale to operate more than ever.
Just last week, more than 200 foreigners has lost their lives in South Africa and business worth more than $1 million has been destroyed and looted. report says.
Although the Nigerian embassy in South Africa had reported that “No Nigerian Life Was Lost”, one could only imagine what they’re trying to hide because the murder of Pius Ezekwem that led to the arrest of four South African Police officers after a protest by Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDC) led by it’s Chairman Hon. Abike Dabiri, is still fresh in our hearts.
Meanwhile, the NIDC Chairwoman, Abike Dabiri has confirmed the acceptance and willingness of at 640 Nigerians in South Africa to return to Nigeria, She said this while speaking with journalists after an interactive session with Chairman of Senate Committee on Diaspora and CSO, Sen. Ajibola Bashir.
“We’ve discussed with them and at least 640 of them are willing to return, they’re going to get a free emergency travel certificates, that’s part of why there’s delay,so those that have issues or their passport has expired will be getting an emergency travel certificate, and when they come back, well, they weren’t on their own or coming voluntarily,so they all belongs to the state and all that,” Said Dabiri.
She added, “On the part of government, we have a program that will enroll them in a small scale entrepreneurial programs with the Bank of Industries.”
Flights carrying the returnees will leave Johannesburg by Wednesday, said Abike Dabiri-Erewa, every details of those willing to join the free flight has been taken and will be handled by the government of Nigeria.
The Chairwoman said they don’t consider expelling the South Africa’s High Commissioner to Nigeria, but they will ensure, South African Government pay compensation to Nigerians whose businesses and properties were destroyed.
The Chairman/CEO of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Hon. Abike Dabiri-Erewa said at least 640 Nigerians are willing to be evacuated from South Africa and President Muhammad Buhari has directed that Nigeria will protect and demand justice for all Nigerians. pic.twitter.com/eoMJcNMBe7
— Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (@nidcom_gov) September 10, 2019